Ok so I have a feeling this might get kind of long, so if you want to skip to the pictures, feel free.
I took Emmett in for his 1 week appointment and the Dr. heard a heart murmur. She said it very likely could be nothing, but that she is anal about this stuff and wanted Emmett to have an echocardiogram to get things checked out just to be safe.
I took Emmett in for his 1 week appointment and the Dr. heard a heart murmur. She said it very likely could be nothing, but that she is anal about this stuff and wanted Emmett to have an echocardiogram to get things checked out just to be safe.
2 days later I found myself in the Heart wing of the hospital sitting next to Emmett as he was getting his echo for about an hour. The poor tiny littl guy with all those sticky things hooked up to him. That was on a Wed. We heard back on Friday that Emmett indeed had a few things going on with his heart.
I guess there are several "holes" in babies hearts when they are in the womb that allow the blood to flow easier. These holes close up right around the time the baby is born. Well, Emmett had 2 of these holes that hadn't closed up yet. They said these are nothing to worry about, it is very common and most likely they would close up on their own eventually.
The third thing they found was what they call Pulmonary Stenosis. (If you want to know more you can google the condition.) The Pediatrician wanted us to meet with a Pediatric Cardiologist so that he could do some more tests and better explain what is going on with our little Emmett's heart.
One week later (today), I again found myself (this time with Nate in case the diagnosis was more than I could handle on my own) in the heart wing of the hospital watching Emmett receive his second echo. The doctor said that one of the "holes" has already closed up. He said the other one was still there but that is could take up to 2 years to close up.
He then confirmed that Emmett does have Pulmonary Stenosis. We got the best news we could with this diagnosis - that Emmett has a mild case of this condition. With a moderate or severe case, the child would most likely need surgery to correct the valve - but with a mild case, surgery is usually not needed. The pediatric Cardiologist wants to watch him closely over his first year - since babies change so much during that time he wants to make sure the stenosis doesn't worsen as Emmett grows.
We get to go back in for another echo in 2 weeks and then many more times during Emmett's first year of life and most likely every year or two for the rest of his life (to make sure there isn't too much stress on the right ventricle causing it to enlarge.)
All we can do now is hope and pray that his condition doesn't get worse, that it stays a mild case. I have to admit I feel VERY blessed that his condition isn't worse. There seem to be a million things that can go wrong with our beautiful little babies - all sorts of weird and awful things. I am truly grateful that Emmett's condition is what it is and isn't worse.
We have been blessed with great health with all of our children (and Nate and I included) that I can't complain too much about the little bump in the road of Emmett's health. I am forever amazed at and grateful for my FOUR beautiful and HEALTHY children. I am grateful for the joy they bring into our lives each and every day and I am so humbled to be their mother - these amazing little spirits that I can learn so much from.
We sure love our Emmett and we are excited to share him with each of you as soon as we get the chance to. He has blessed our lives immensly and we look forward to creating many wonderful memories with him in our lives.
Here is our PRECIOUS little NEWBORN....



I might be slightly biased, but isn't he just ADORABLE!!!! Amazing and so perfect (except the tiny imperfection in his heart)
8 comments:
So what is the end of the story? I hope everything is ok. I was born with a heart murmur too but after a blessing it disappeared. Good Luck!
I am sorry for all the stress this is bringing you Mom! He IS an adorable baby...keep looking at the positives, you're doing a great job with that! All 4 of your kids are so cute! We will be sure to keep your sweet little baby in our prayers!
I love the picture in the basket and the last picture, so precious. I wish I could've gotten better pictures of Celeste.
Oh Melinda - I'm sorry to hear about Emmett's little heart. I'm so glad that things seem to be fixing themselves, but I know that is so scary. He is absolutely darling and such a sweet little guy. We love and miss you guys!
He's beautiful! He's so perfect, it's hard to believe that anything is wrong. We'll pray that all will fix itself soon!
Sorry to hear about the heart trouble for little Emmett. I hope it all clears up right away.
I LOVE the pictures!!!! So cute!!! What a sweet little man! I am so sorry to hear about his heart. I am glad that the problem is mild though. It is amazing how complex these little bodies are! We will keep you guys in our prayers! I hope you are feeling well. Your family is really so adorable!
His pictures are beautiful!~~~~ Girly...you and I need to have a little photography phone chat so I'll be calling you soon if you are up for it!! ;-) The pictures look amazing!!!! Did you do them!??!
I have heard of countless miracles of healings that have occured by blessings...where the doctor finds something and the baby has a blessing and they go back and can't find it. I have the upmost faith in that. If you guys ever want to have a fast for Emmett, we will be happy to do it with you. Even this fast Sunday if you wanted...our prayers are with you. I love this little guy even though I haven't even met him! He is precious!
Post a Comment