Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

I know I'm still a little behind, but I just couldn't go on without documenting Jennett and my CRAZY weekend.

So, we (mostly I) have been missing Ohio so much that we thought we'd take a trip back to visit the Simpsons. Granted Cincinnati isn't quite Columbus, but it was close enough.

We headed there for the long weekend and a LONG weekend it was. Jennett and I thought since we feel like Superwoman sometimes that we would test it out and see just how much canning we can do in one day.

We decided to can salsa, peaches and grape juice. For those who don't do any canning, one item in a day is more than enough canning at one time, but doing three different foods is just insane. We figured out kids were old enough to kind of play by themselves ALL day and we could just wip this stuff out.
We did manage to can a total of about 165 quarts of food in one day. I came home with:

21 Quarts of Peaches

15 Quarts of Grape Juice and

45 Quarts of Salsa

Needless to say it was a pretty sleepless weekend, but we had tons of fun. AND we certainly couldn't have finished all of that without the help of our wonderful husbands who ran to the store several times for us and stayed up late helping us finish up our canning.

Thanks Jennett and I know I won't be running out of Salsa anytime soon!!!!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness!!!! I can't believe all those cans - good work! I have only canned once in my life (I actually had fun though). I should have you up sometime to show me what to do!

Camille said...

WOW - I am so impressed Melinda! That is awesome!

Sonja said...

This is amazing. I wish I had an ounce of you ambition, Melinda.